Mac Bluetooth Issues When Attempting to Ride on Zwift
Some Macs report Bluetooth/BLE pairing issues after an update on Zwift or an OS update. There are a few steps you can take that can generally solve these issues.
- Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
- Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r.
- Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
- Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.
Turning it off and on again
- Turn off your Bluetooth on your Mac and then turn it back on again.
- Restart Zwift and try pairing.
Removing potentially corrupt files
- Open Finder on your Mac and click on the “Go” menu in Menu Bar, then click on “Go to Folder…”
- In the Go to Folder window that opens up, type in or paste /Library/Preferences and then click on the blue “Go” button.
- In the new Finder window that opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.
- Open the “Go” menu in the Menu Bar once again, and just like before, click on the “Go to Folder” option again.
- In the Go to Folder window, delete any text in the text field and type in or paste ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost into the text field and click on the blue “Go” button.
- When the Finder window opens, locate the com.apple.Bluetooth.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfile, right click on it, and select “Move to Trash.”
- NOTE: This file starts with com.apple.Bluetooth, and the rest of the file will have a random mix of numbers and letters, which is different for everybody. Don’t worry if the seemingly endless list of files looks intimidating – there’s should only be one com.apple.Bluetooth file here, so just find and delete it.
- Now reboot your Mac and your operating system will automatically generate new Bluetooth files when you turn Bluetooth off and on again.
Resetting Bluetooth Module
If none of the above have worked, get ready to re-configure all of your Bluetooth accessories, because now you’re going to want to try resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module.
To reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Hold down the Shift (⇧) key and the Option key and click on the Bluetooth menu in your Menu Bar on your Mac.
- Go to Debug > Remove all devices and click on it to disconnect from all paired Bluetooth devices.
- Now open the same menu once again and click on Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module.
- After resetting your Mac’s Bluetooth module, you can now attempt to re-pair all of your Bluetooth accessories and everything should work as expected.