We recommend calibrating your trainer each time your ride. You'll have to calibrate using the Kinetic Fit app even if you're planning to ride on another app platform. Below you can find the calibration sequence and a few best practices.
The Software and Firmware:
- UPDATE THE FIT APP: Be sure that you have the latest version of the Kinetic Fit app running on your device. Check the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- REDUCE BLUETOOTH INTERFERENCE: Make sure your Kinetic R1 trainer isn't paired to any other apps.
- UPDATE FIRMWARE IF NEEDED: Launch the Kinetic Fit app and pair with the Kinetic R1 trainer and check for firmware updates by selecting SENSORS from the menu and then selecting your trainer and the GEAR ICON. Select UPDATE FIRMWARE if prompted. Currently version 1.30 is the newest firmware version. If you update firmware, be sure to POWER CYCLE THE TRAINER: unplug the trainer and plug it back in after the firmware update is completed.
- Update device OS: Check your general device settings to make sure there isn't an OS update available for your device. If one is available, please install it before your next trainer session.
- LAUNCH THE KINETIC FIT APP Check the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Pair your trainer Launch the Kinetic Fit app and pair with the Kinetic R1 trainer by selecting SENSORS from the menu and then selecting your trainer and the chainlink icon.
- Select a workout (FREE RIDE IS FINE IF JUST WARMING UP AND CALIBRATING).
- Start selected workout by selecting "Warmup" button
- Warm up for about 9 minutes (Automated warm up is 10 minutes, then the workout will begin. We suggest that you warm up for around 9 minutes then select the "CALIBRATE" button on the warm up screen.
- Follow calibration prompts to speed up and then coast
- Upon coast down a "a calibration successful message" and calibration number will display
- If using the Fit app, continue with workout.
- If using a 3rd-party app like Zwift, quit out of the Fit app but do NOT power cycle the trainer. Calibration will be lost if trainer is unplugged. Just make sure that you're no longer paired to the trainer so that a new app can pair up to it using Bluetooth Smart.
Calibration times and belt break in:
Over the course of the first 20 or so hours of riding, the Kinetic R1 drive belt will have a bit of break in. You may notice initial calibration times going from 3 seconds up to 4 or 5 seconds after the belt has had time to get ridden in. This is all okay and accounted for with calibration.
You can also expect a small amount of black dust while the R1 belt is ridden in for the first 100 miles or so of riding. Belt noise also usually quiets down a bit as the belt breaks. Be sure to warm up for 9 to 10 minutes prior to calibration to warm up the trainer drive a bit.