Kinetic Control trainers and R1 trainers pair with apps using the Bluetooth Smart communication protocol (a.k.a. Bluetooth 4.0, Bluetooth LE or BLE) found in nearly all mobile devices manufactured within the past 5 years, or with ANT+*.
Control trainer pairing issues are frequently caused by a number of different scenarios including any one or combination of these:
- Trainer is not paired to the app, but is CONNECTED in device settings. See proper pairing procedure here.
- Bluetooth on phone/device is turned off.
- Fit App and/or Control firmware need(s) to be updated.
- Trainer is paired to another fitness app running in the background.
- Trainer is still paired on another device that you were using.
- You're attempting to pair with an app that doesn't support Control trainers**
- Phone or tablet Operating System (OS) is not current. Update it!
- Trainer is paired in device bluetooth settings (it shouldn't be. delete it from the bluetooth device list if it's paired there).
Getting back up and running
Here's what we recommend to you get up and running. Check your device bluetooth settings to be sure the trainer is NOT paired in the phone or tablet device bluetooth settings: SETTINGS > BLUETOOTH > MY DEVICES. You should not see your sensor in the list of MY DEVICES. Your trainer should only pair in the training app you are using.
- Hard quit the Fit app (varies by device).
- In your device settings, turn off Bluetooth.
- Power OFF your device.
- Power OFF the Control trainer.
- Power ON your device and turn on Bluetooth again.
- Launch Kinetic Fit app.
- Power ON the Control trainer.
- Open the SENSORS screen and look for a Kinetic sensor listing, tap the broken chain link icon to pair.
- When trainer is paired, select the GEAR ICON to the right of the trainer to enter the sensor settings menu.
- Scroll down SENSOR SETTINGS screen to see if there is a firmware update.
- Select UPDATE FIRMWARE button if an update is indicated.
If you're having Zwift pairing issues, have a look at this ARTICLE.
Finally, if none of this works for you, send us a note at the Submit a Request link and describe what happened along with the steps you've taken to try and troubleshoot the connection. Once we receive your support ticket, we'll determine the next steps.
*ANT+ compatible Software and Hardware required, see Software manufacturers FAQ's for a complete list of compatible devices and connection methods.
**APPS supporting wireless communication standards Bluetooth FTMS and ANT+ FE-C will pair with Control trainers. We recommend using the following training apps: Kinetic Fit, Zwift, TrainerRoad, Rouvy, FulGaz, The Sufferfest and Kinomap.