Kinetic Smart Control trainers pair with apps using the Bluetooth Smart communication protocol (a.k.a. Bluetooth 4.0, Bluetooth LE or BLE) found in nearly all mobile devices manufactured within the past 5 years. Important: fitness devices like trainers and heart rate monitors pair directly with training apps and NOT within the device settings like wireless headphones or an earpiece would. Do not pair your trainer or heart rate monitor in your device settings, even if the device will let you as some Android devices have done with customers. In your phone SETTINGS > BLUETOOTH, if you see your sensor listed please delete it.
Smart Control trainer pairing issues are frequently caused by a number of different scenarios including any one or combination of these:
- Trainer is paired in phone/device settings and not in the training app where it should be paired.
- Bluetooth on phone/device is turned off.
- Fit App and/or Smart Control firmware needs to be updated.
- Trainer is paired to another fitness app running in the background.
- You're attempting to pair with an app that doesn't support Smart Control trainers*
- Phone or tablet Operating System (OS) is not current. Update it!
Here's what we recommend to you get up and running. Check your device settings to be sure the trainer is not paired in the phone or tablet device settings: SETTINGS > BLUETOOTH, if you see your sensor listed as a paired device in settings, delete it. If the sensor is paired to another training app you will be unable to pair it to another app. BLE sensors pairs to one device ONLY. Be sure to quit out of any other apps that you may have paired with.
- Hard quit the Fit app (varies by device)
- In your device settings, turn off Bluetooth
- Power OFF your device
- Power OFF the Smart Control trainer
- Power ON your device and turn on Bluetooth again
- Power ON the Smart Control trainer
- Try pairing your trainer to the training app again.
If you're having Zwift pairing issues have a look at this ARTICLE.
Finally, if none of this works for you, send us a note at the "Submit a Request" link below and describe what happened and we'll determine the next steps.
*Currently the following apps will support Smart Control trainers: Kinetic Fit, Zwift, TrainerRoad, Rouvy, FulGaz and Kinomap.