Kinetic Smart trainers and inRide sensors pair with apps using the Bluetooth Smart communication protocol (a.k.a. Bluetooth 4.0, Bluetooth LE or BLE) found in nearly all mobile devices manufactured within the past 5 years. Important: fitness devices like trainers and heart rate monitors pair directly with training apps and NOT within the device settings like wireless headphones or an earpiece would. Do not pair your trainer or heart rate monitor in your device settings, even if the device will let you as some Android devices have done with customers. In your phone SETTINGS > BLUETOOTH, if you see your sensor listed please delete it.
When inRide sensors won't pair, 90% of the time it's a dead battery in the sensor or it's because the sensor has been paired to Bluetooth in device settings instead of the chosen training app. Some inRide sensors and Smart trainers have been reported to arrive with dead batteries, so please check your battery first. Check your device settings to be sure the trainer or heart rate strap is not paired in the phone or tablet device settings: SETTINGS > BLUETOOTH, if you see your sensor listed as a paired device in settings, delete it. If the sensor is paired to another training app you will be unable to pair it to another app. BLE sensors pairs to one device ONLY. Be sure to quit out of any other apps that you may have paired with.
INRIDE AND SMART TRAINERS: follow the steps listed below to fix a Fit app pairing issue if it's not battery or Bluetooth settings.
- Hard quit the Fit app by double tapping the home button and upswiping the app if it's on.
- In your device settings, turn off Bluetooth.
- Power off your device.
- Pull battery from the inRide sensor and flip it.
- While your sensor battery is flipped, power up your device, turn on bluetooth again in settings, open the Fit app, and open the Sensors screen.
- Flip the battery back to positive side up (a magnet helps with removal) in the sensor and reinstall battery cap. If this doesn't work, try it again with a fresh battery.
Finally, if none of this works for you, send us a note at the "Submit a Request" link below and describe what happened and we'll determine the next steps.